Sunday, March 16, 2008

Avoid Stupid Questions

First, (almost) no question is stupid when someone is new to things...like a client without much business or business plan experience.

For most of us, that is easier said than done...even for me, but I do ask less and less stupid questions as I get smarter and smarter to be qualified as pretty smart. Besides, stupid questions are limited in my business plan work as our review/edit/authoring of plans always has at least one other team member set of smart eyes in the mix besides my inquisitive and intuitive mind. That said, we do business plans that are extreme in nature including new technologies, and asking many questions including some stupid ones along the way means we can explain complicated terminology in terms the reader can understand.

OK, I am entitled to a personal stupid question rant. We have done business plans that helped a retail store get a 75K loan and a healthcare company get a 75M commitment. We have been the lead consultant on tax-exempt bond issues for esteemed non-profit boards and their huge law firms and helped a sole proprietor for little remuneration that had a worthy purpose in the community. My point? Business Plans have been completed for all kinds of businesses with extreme backgrounds, goals and funding needs. With that said, why do at least a third of those that respond to our advertisements ask, “ How much would it cost for a business plan.” Answer: Very Stupid Question.

Maybe people think that their business plan is typical when there is no typical or believe the ridiculous websites from so-called business consultants and experts that suggest a template works. Sure, certain information and sections of business plans are typical, but businesses, their purpose and goals are almost always different, and assumptions in forecasts and uses of funds are even more extreme.

I have difficulty being polite or politically correct answering very stupid questions, yet I am really a nice guy. At least most think so, and no “nice guy” is not an oxymoron. I am just direct and real in my answers to any question, let alone those very stupid questions, like pointing out the extremes in business plan background and purpose that results in extreme variances in costs (or time) to complete.

Yes, those stupid questions, like the hostess at the restaurant the other night who asked “Would you like a table” as I stood next to and looked at the table chart and the list of those waiting at her little stand. “Yes,” I said as I held back saying “No, I’d like to stand right here and have my salad and linguini…is that OK?”

February 9, 2008 Get to the Point More content is almost always not better than less... for your Business Plan or any documents except a legal document, so get to the point succinctly and directly. Writing articles for magazines with a word limit helped teach me this lesson again and again. Some lessons in business and life need constant reminders, like “less in more” in business but not in quality time with loved ones.

Ever notice how people that talk too much bore the hell of you, except folks like Robin Williams who might leave your head spinning but far from bored? I seriously doubt that boredom or head spinning are your goals for your business document reader, usually an investor or their representative for business plans. Hence, the word for today...and tomorrow and thereafter is Concise.

No comments: